Loaded with tender beef and a mix of colourful veggies, our Hearty Beef Stew will definitely warm your soul through the cooler months!
- 1kg chuck steak, diced
- 5 Potatoes quartered
- 3 sliced carrots
- 2 brown onions sliced into wedges
- 2 sticks celery sliced
- 1 punnet Swiss brown mushrooms
- 1 red, yellow and green capsicum chopped into large chunks
- 100gms pitted green olives
- Sprigs of Thyme, reserve some for garnish
- 1 carton liquid beef stock
- ¼ cup red wine
- 1 bottle tomato passata
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic crushed
- 3 tablespoons of Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Begin by heating 2 tbs of olive oil in 32cm Bessemer Dutch oven over a high heat and fry chopped garlic until fragrant. Cook beef in batches until browned.
- Place batches of beef back into the pan and add onion wedges, celery, capsicum and carrots and cook until slightly softened. Add wine and allow to heat through and reduce.
- Add passata, canned tomatoes, potatoes, olives and stock. Add some thyme leaves. Taste and add salt and pepper if required. Allow to boil and then reduce heat and let simmer. Cover and let cook for at least an hour or until beef is tender and potatoes are soft.
- Serve with thyme garnish.
- Enjoy with mash potato, pasta or crusty bread.
Recommended Bessemer Cookware?
For this recipe, we recommend you use the Bessemer Black Cast Aluminium 32cm Dutch Oven as featured in this recipe for best results!