This no-fuss Plum Cake features fresh plums with a spicy kick of cinnamon and cardamom and is best served warm, for a cosy afternoon tea treat!
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- 115gms butter + 2 tbs
- 1 cup of caster sugar + 2 tbs extra
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 8 plums pitted and sliced.
- Preheat oven to 175C. Grease Bessemer 28cm Dutch oven.
- Slice all plums into 1cm slices and place in a bowl.
- In a large bowl, whisk all dry ingredients.
- In a stand mixer or with your electric mixer, cream together butter and cup of sugar until it is light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, vanilla and sour cream to the bowl and mix until all combined. Add dry ingredients to the mixture and mix until smooth.
- Transfer batter to Bessemer pan and decoratively lay ½ of the plum slices on top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until cake is cooked. Cake will be cooked when a skewer is inserted in the middle and it comes out clean.
- Whilst cake is oven cooking, melt 2tbs butter in a pan, add 2 tbs of extra sugar and cook until bubbling. Add other half of plums and cook until softened.
- When cake is cooked remove from oven and let cool slightly. Top cooked cake with extra plum slices. Serve cake warm with ice-cream.
Recommended Bessemer Cookware?
For this recipe, we recommend you use the Bessemer Black Cast Aluminium Dutch Oven 28cm as featured in this recipe for best results!